Transitioning a Loved One Back Home
Your loved one is more likely to stay healthy and avoid a trip back to the hospital if you follow these steps.
Steps for Transitioning a Loved One Back Home
1. Plan in advance for going home
If you have any concerns about how you will manage at home or how you and your loved one are coping, tell the hospital staff as early as possible. It’s important to raise any concerns you may have before your loved one returns home. Make sure you have the names and phone numbers for any home care services you need, know what problems to watch for, and have the name of the contact person and number to call if you have any problems. You can also ask for written instructions for follow-up appointments, treatments, or tests that are needed.
2. Understand the prescribed medications when you leave
Before you take your loved one home, be sure to obtain a list of medications that are ordered. If you don’t get one from the staff, ask for it. This list should include the reason for taking the medication, how much to take, when to take it, and how often. Make sure you know about new medications prescribed, including potential side effects, or if there are medications no longer needed.
3. Make sure there is a follow up appointment scheduled with your loved ones doctor
It’s very important that your loved one see his or her doctor for a follow-up appointment within 7 days of leaving the hospital.
If you need help managing your loved ones return home, you may benefit from working with a care manager. This program is offered as part of your loved one’s benefits and there is no cost to you or your loved one. The program includes:
- Personalized care plan promoting self-care
- Support for complying with physician's plan of care and medications
- Disease-specific educational materials
- Education and support regarding medication adherence
- Education on how to recognize and alleviate warning signs and symptoms of disease
- Assistance with advanced care planning
To learn more about working with a Care Manager, call Customer Relations:
1-800-701-9000 (TTY: 1-800-208-9562) 7 days a week, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (From Apr 1 – Sep 30, representatives are available Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.) After hours and on holidays, please leave a message and a representative will return your call on the next business day.