Balsamic Steak Skewers with Mixed Vegetables and Grilled Sweet Potatoes
This is a perfect summertime meal with lots of colorful vegetables and delicious grilled flavor.
Steak and Vegetable Skewer Ingredients
- 3/4 pound beef sirloin, all visible fat discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, divided use
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided use
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided use
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon mustard (lowest sodium available)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 10 ounces whole button mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium bell pepper, any color, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise into 1-inch rounds
- Cooking spray
Sweet Potato Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Soak 12 bamboo skewers for at least 10 minutes in cold water to keep them from charring, or use metal skewers.
- In a large resealable plastic bag or airtight container with a lid, mix together the beef, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, rosemary, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Seal tightly. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, process the remaining 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, basil, 2 teaspoons oil, water, and mustard for 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl. Set aside.
- On a skewer, thread a tomato, mushroom, bell pepper, and zucchini. Repeat with 7 other skewers.
- Thread the beef on the remaining 4 skewers. Discard the marinade.
- Lightly coat the grates with cooking spray. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Put all the skewers on the grates. Grill the beef skewers for 12 minutes, turning occasionally, until the beef has reached the desired doneness when tested with an instant-read thermometer. Cook the vegetable skewers for 8 to 12 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp. Transfer to a platter. Cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Leave the grill on medium-high heat to grill the potatoes.
- When ready to serve, drizzle the vinaigrette over the vegetable skewers.
- While the beef and vegetables are grilling, in a large bowl, stir together the potatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, paprika, chili powder, and pepper until combined.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a single layer, not overlapping, on the grill. Grill, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender, turning once halfway through. Serve with the beef and vegetable skewers.
If you don’t feel like grilling, you can use your broiler instead. Broil the beef and vegetable skewers as directed and place the potatoes on a broiling rack.
Recipe source: American Heart Association