Can Staying in the Moment Improve Your Health?
Many of us spend too much time planning, problem-solving, or worrying about things we can’t control. Especially now that the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world we live in. These thought patterns can drain you of energy and may actually increase your chances of experiencing stress, anxiety, or depression. Mindfulness exercises can help you steer away from this type of thinking to focus on the present and accept it without judgment.
Four ways to practice mindfulness
Mindfulness is a type of meditation that helps you focus on what you are feeling in the moment. There are many simple techniques you can use to improve mindfulness in your everyday life:
1. Notice the world around you
During this difficult time, it can be challenging to take the time to appreciate your senses. But focusing on how things look, taste, or feel can help you stay present.
2. Find joy in simple things
Finding pleasure in simple things can truly improve your happiness. Stay in the moment, and try to bring an open mind and focus to everything you do.
3. Be good to yourself
We are often most judgmental of ourselves. Give yourself permission to treat yourself with the same consideration you give others.
If you feel stressed or anxious, take a minute to breathe deeply. Focus your attention on your breathing to calm and reset your mind.
Health Benefits of Mindfulness
Not only can mindfulness help you feel calmer and more and in tune with your surroundings, but there are health benefits as well.
- Well being—Improving mindfulness techniques can make it easier to enjoy the small moments and simple pleasures of life, engage in activities, and reduce worry over the future or past.
- Physical health—Practicing mindfulness can help relieve stress, improve sleep, and may be able to lower blood pressure and help with chronic pain.
- Mental health—Mindfulness techniques can help treat depression, anxiety, and substance abuse issues. Additionally, Tufts Health Plan offers mental health resources and services to help you care for your mental well-being.
Resources & Tools
Use the drug search tools to find out if your drugs are covered and which tier they fall under on your plan type.
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor within your Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred HMO network or your Tufts Health Plan Senior Care Options network.
Health Library A-Z
Tufts Health Plan has partnered with Healthwise to provide members with access to a library of high-quality content on conditions, treatments and more.