Italian Sausage Stew
This six-ingredient recipe is simple to prepare and simply delicious. Serve with whole-wheat rolls or over whole-wheat pasta.
- 2 pounds low-fat, hot, nitrate-free Italian turkey sausage (lowest sodium available, casings discarded)
- 2 cans no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 3 medium bell peppers (a combination of colors preferred), chopped
- 1 large red onion (chopped)
- 6 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning, crumbled
Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and stir together. Cook, covered, on low for 6 hours, or until the vegetables are tender.
To cook later
- In a large bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Divide stew between two 1-gallon resealable plastic freezer bags. Place the bags flat in the freezer and freeze.
- When ready to cook, thaw the bags overnight in the refrigerator. Pour the contents of the bags into a slow cooker and cook, covered, on low for 6 hours.
Source: American Heart Association
Resources & Tools
Use the drug search tools to find out if your drugs are covered and which tier they fall under on your plan type.
Find a Doctor
Find a doctor within your Tufts Health Plan Medicare Preferred HMO network or your Tufts Health Plan Senior Care Options network.
Health Library A-Z
Tufts Health Plan has partnered with Healthwise to provide members with access to a library of high-quality content on conditions, treatments and more.